John Kasunick wrote

This doesn't directly answer your question about jog-while-paused, but I'm

curious about the specific use case you describe.

How do you decide when to change the insert?  Do you wait until it chips

or starts cutting poorly?  Or do you always change it at the same point

because you know it won't last all the way through?

We let the insert go as long as possible usually..ceramic inserts will start
to notch on the interrupted cut (60-62 Rc) if we can make it all of the way
through we will and let the finish tool clean it up.

If you wait for it to chip or stop cutting properly, it seems to me that it
isn't

good enough to simply pause, jog away, change the insert, jog back, and

resume.  Don't you have to actually back up in the program a bit and

re-machine the area that was improperly cut?

Not really on roughing cuts. We always use a fresh tool on finish cuts to
make sure any sins get covered up.

On the other hand, if you have decided to always change the insert at the

2/3 mark just to be safe, then can't you simply program the change in the

g-code?  At the end of a pass, rapid over to a safe spot, stop the spindle,

and do the change.  Then start the next pass.

See above... not always the case. In a production situation this would work
in our case we are running 8 pieces of this particular job and that is a lot
for us.

Jeff Johnson

john...@superiorroll.com

Superior Roll & Turning