The reason you use NC limit switches it because if a wire breaks or
falls off your limits go off and the machine goes into an estop
contition. So it is actually a "major" item because any failure to get
the signal back to the input results in estop whereas a failure of a NO
limit circuit will never be seen by the system. Obviously on hobby
machines driven by small steppers it is not as important as damage might
be minimal after a crash.

JT