On 11/29/2014 12:29 AM, Karlsson & Wang wrote:
> I would reccomend a book in power electronics I read "Power
> Electronics: Converters, Applications, and Design" at the university.
> The most important part to understand is the loss calculation, then
> you know why you need a good gate driver.

Thank you for the book recommendation. I have found a lot of good
information trolling through manufacturer's documents and various
websites. This started as just trying to scratch an itch -- bare bones
FET and motor, but I tend to get drawn in while making progress.

  Diode reverse recovery is
> also important. I assume you already know why you need an isolated
> power supply to the high side driver?

Oh yes, but I kind of resent having to wiggle the high side to keep the
driver charged. I'm tending to think, since a tiny AVR is so cheap, I
could add one to maintain the high side supply, and maybe do other
things since it is there. I like the idea of being able to go right up
to 100% duty without giving it a thought.

Another thing the AVR could do is monitor the current sensor. It seems
that monitoring current is important for driver protection as well as
possibly motor protection and torque control -- but, what current? Peak
current seems important to prevent blowing out components. Average
current is needed for motor load and driver over-heating. I guess I'll
find out as I go.

--
Kirk Wallace
http://www.wallacecompany.com/E45/