On 3 Dec 2014, at 17:25, Jon Elson wrote:

> On 12/03/2014 07:40 AM, Marius Liebenberg wrote:
>> Andy
>> MTBF is obtained by testing a number of units over a period of time at
>> accelerated environmental conditions.
> MTBF CAN be evaluated this way, and it is a more truthful
> way to do it, but it requires a LOT
> of units and long testing on hi-rel systems.  So, the DoD,
> long ago, came up with this
> crazy scheme to do it ALL on paper, with not a single actual
> test needing to be performed.

BS EN 61709:2001 is all about the mathematical projection of the probability of
failure, and the prediction of the theoretical MTBF on the basis of the
calculation. It's the recommended Standard...

> This was all worked out by the Defense Electronic Supply
> Center back in the 1970's,
> and I watched in total shock and amazement when the trade
> mags described how this
> all was to be done.  DESC no longer exists, and I think this
> whole debacle had something
> to do with that.
>
> You look up in a book published by DESC what the reliability
> of a specific resistor, transistor,
> capacitor, etc. was, and then add up all of those parts and
> put them into an equation
> that gives you a total reliability.  NO mechanical parts
> need APPLY!  Motors, fans, bearings,
> disk drives, etc. are totally reliable!  Also, all
> connectors, switches, and wiring are
> not prone to failure.

Yeah; and as for those MTBF figures for small bearings... The last lot I used
in my lathe fixed steady lasted for ages; except for the one which failed after
15 minutes.... ruining the job. It was small consolation to be told the
'thousands of hours to failure' was an average...