On Friday 02 January 2015 10:19:12 Sebastian Kuzminsky did opine
And Gene did reply:
> On 01/02/2015 08:04 AM, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > On Thursday 01 January 2015 23:12:22 Sebastian Kuzminsky did opine
> >
> >> I personally prefer Debian Wheezy, which works "out of the box"
> >> using the new Live/Install Image.  Instructions for that are here:
> >>
> >> http://www.linuxcnc.org/docs/2.7/html/getting-started/index.html#_ge
> >> tti ng_linuxcnc
> >
> > This wheezy has a pae kernel?  Downloading now.
>
> Yep, on Wheezy we have an RTAI kernel for i686 with PAE.

So I see Seb, as I've spent 4 of the last 6 hours installing and loading
it up for bear hunting, or whatever.  The other two were spent carving up
some screw hole plugs out of ebony, I took a break IOW.  The 4 spline
decorators are done, and now 6 of the 12 screw covers are done & glued in.

Wheezy is a breath of fresh air, hell, even the networking worked once I
filled in the blanks.  Anything with a buntu label on it for the last 8
years has made me do it my way and mark everything related immutable so
networkmangler can't screw it up.  I've done that so many times, including
with this 10.04.4 LTS install, that I can do it in my sleep I think.  But
wheezy Just Worked(TM), as did synaptic so what took me several days when
I loaded this 1.04.4 LTS originally, will likely be done to the point of
even having my web server in the sig back on line by the next time I
switch drives and reboot to it.

Another pleasant surprise is that KDE is an older version, so kmail is
1.13.7 and should not have a huge config problem bringing that back up as
this one is 1.13.5.  I am half tempted to just copy the older .kde subdir
in my /home to that one and see if it makes anything puke.

That way I'd already have all my filter settings, accounts, the whole
maryann.  I am positively drooling at that prospect. :)

So if my web page works, and kmail works, this drive then becomes a
mountable cache to go get the stuff I forgot.

Many many thanks for the wheezy suggestion from linuxcnc.org Seb.