> On Jan 5, 2015, at 1:19 PM, Sebastian Kuzminsky <s...@highlab.com> wrote:
>> Servo thread Max Jitter:  770360
>> Base thread Max Jitter: 771712
>
> Ouch!

Indeed.

> I dont know about any effort to make isolcpus not required any more.

Ok, perhaps someone should fix the last part of that page...?

> There is no difference in latency between different versions of
> LinuxCNC, what matters is the RTAI kernel version.  If you're running
> from the 2.6 Live/Install Image, you'll be running the new RTAI kernel,
> which has very different latency behaviors on some hardware.
>
> Use lstopo to see what vcpus share the L2 cache of the last vcpu, then
> use isolcpus to isolate them all.  That may help.

Thanks Seb.  I did this and now have isolcpus=1 and it seems to be better
behaved already.  After running for an hour or so Max Jitter is 29293 which
would be fine for my application... I will let it run all night and see if the
outrageous jitter occurs again.

> Maybe memleak (Alec, our RTAI expert) can help identify any other things
> to try?

If anyone has other suggestions to improve latency, please do tell.
-Tom