Quoting:

Date: Thu, 08 Jan 2015 11:58:49 -0500
From: Dave Cole <linuxcncro...@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Emc-users] Hurco KM3 to retrofit - now what do I need?
To: emc-users@lists.sourceforge.net

Backing up a bit.

Do you know if the servo motors and drives are good?

That is always my number one concern.    If you have drive/servo motor
issues that can be big $$ compared to everything else.

If you have the prints, wire up the machine and enable the servos (one
at a time) and carefully apply some voltage to the +/-10volt input and
see if the motors spin.
A 1 1/2 volt battery can be a nice isolated voltage source for jogging
drives for testing purposes.
Having a fast way to disconnect the power from the drive is a good
idea.  Rig up an estop that controls a contactor so you can kill power
NOW! if required.  Best to have someone with their hand over the estop
button just in case..  You probably have the parts required to do this
in the existing control box.
Try to avoid running them into the hard stops..    Putting some
crushable wood in the right place can cushion the axes if something
starts to run away before you hit the hard stops.

I've looked at some Hurco mills and got close to getting one. The iron
is pretty impressive.  What controls controls were original to the machine?
Hurco had their own controls for a while.  I've met some of the guys who
do Hurco controls repair just outside of Detroit.  On some Hurco mills,
I thought that the controls and the drive boards were all in the same
rack??  That might complicate a conversion.

The 7i43/7i33TA combo works fine for servo controls.  If you have the
parts already I'd start with that.

>>The 7i42TA looks the kit for I/O for limits and relays<<
That's a good card also and easy to wire and the price is right if you
already have a 7i43 and are on a budget.
It will get you going.

If you want to add a A axis and Knee drive later,  you can swap some
Mesa parts then after you know the rest of the machine is good.

FWIW, I think the Automation Direct GS2 VFD is pretty commonly used on
spindles for Linuxcnc machines.  You might want to stick with a common
drive if you want support from the list for the drive and LinuxCNC
integration.  Besides that, they are easy to setup.  I've used Teco
servo drives but never Teco VFDs, yet.

Dave

End Quote:

Dave:

A few months back I powered up the machine, CRT's are dead, the graphics CRT
had died just before I was laid off.

I switched into manual mode and powered up the servos and was able to jog the
machine and home it. I would love to have been able to see the display since
when the memory board died it lost all its personality specs - it did not know
its own travel limits. I could also turn on the spindle in manual mode.

This unit has the Servomate amps and Electrocraft 4 Brush DC servo motors (with
tachs) running 1:1 on all axis. The iron is made by Kondia. Many of the BMC
series were made by Leadwell, which also supplied some models for Tree Machine.

It is great to know I am buying a machine that has working parts, best of all
it improves my U200 tooling on hand to almost 70 shanks.

My old machine (KM3P) has the MAX32 system and Hurco Max400 servo amps which
appear to use a +/- 15V control scale from the wiring diagrams I have. Servo
motors appear the same ElectroCraft units. The KM3P model, the 'P' denotes
programmable spindle speed, and sets the vari-drive with a small 3Ph motor and
a worm drive gear and a "Voltac" controller card. A hall sensor or Prox switch
is used to count the back gear drive teeth and the feedback gets the speed
within +/- 7 rpm. This allows the machine to do near rigid tapping by counting
the increasing time between counts as the spindle slows to a stop then reverses
direction and senses the count time drop.

Retrofitting the KM3P will be a much bigger project, so if possible I hope to
get the OEM control functional. If not I will be swapping the Hurco amps and
having to rig something to deal with the spindle vari-drive.

Greg