I did one of these several years ago. The machine has 1 KW servos on
each end of the gantry driving ball screws.    The gantry was quite
rigid so when the power was removed it self squared.   There was one one
home switch.      I ended up using servo drives in step and direction
mode and fed them with a pulse train from LinuxCNC.   That worked out
fine.  I fed the same step and direction signal to each gantry drive.
If there is any significant following error on either drive, it kicks
out the controls so the gantry cannot become racked out of shape.
It has been running like that now for over 3 years with no issues and
the machine runs up to about 700 ipm.  The machine runs every day,
sometimes two shifts per day.
I considered doing two separate closed loop axes back to the PC, but I
thought it would be easier to try the step and direction approach
first.   That worked, so I stuck with it.
No regrets on that decision.

Dave

On 1/9/2015 10:57 AM, Eric H. Johnson wrote:
> Hi all,
>

> I am looking to do an upgrade on a large XY table where the gantry is driven
> by to oppositely mounted servo motors. Both sets of encoders run back to the
> existing controller. Can I just give a generous deadband to the slave axis,
> or is there a better way to address this configuration so the motors don't
> fight each other. I believe it uses a single home switch which can then be
> fed to both axes for purposes of homing. Anyone done this? Anything else to
> look out for?
>

> Thanks,
>
> Eric
>

> <http://t.senaltres.com/e1t/o/5/f18dQhb0S7ks8dDMPbW2n0x6l2B9gXrN7sKj6v4LCQRN
> 7fcnk8RJ6s6N8rBF7Rd3_yKW18Chwm1k1H6H0?si=6453247850577920&pi=8828d77849c9460
> b95fcaf96870fbe9d>

---