On Thu, Jan 22, 2015, at 11:59 PM, Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Thursday 22 January 2015 16:56:03 Kirk Wallace did opine
> And Gene did reply:
> > In case someone on the East coast (USA) might be interested:
> > http://www.ebay.com/itm/121549533052
>
> I am not familiar enough with that.  Whats the bed length, spindle bore
> etc on one of those?  And I'd guess its too heavy for my GMC half tonner
> too.  Good price, but I think I'd be dreaming to buy something like that.
> I'd have to build a building for it. It would still need ball screws etc I
> assume.

You are right that it is fairly big and heavy.  From another site:

Swing over bed: 14"
Swing over carriage: 8"
Between centers: 12"
Collet size: 16C
Spindle bore: 1-5/8"
HP: 7
Dims: 100" x 66" x 84"
Weight: 5500 lbs

It would NOT need ballscrews.  It was built from the ground up to be
a CNC machine, and already has ballscrews, motors, encoders (or
maybe resolvers), etc.

The only way it would need ballscrews was if it was used hard and
is clapped out.  And in that case, run away, don't plan on repairing
it.  Screws for that class of machine are NOT cheap.  And if the
screws are worn out then the ways and spindle bearings are also
probably worn.

John