This is correct, if they "distribute" the software in any way, they are
supposed to provide the source
code within that distribution (See siemens and samsung installation
discs). But later on with GPL you
were also supposed to publish your work for download (This is rarely
followed). That is anyway the praxis
we work after when doing GPL licensed work at my company.

Trademarking a brand isn't the same as trademarking a piece of software.
So well the Pathpilot
brand can and should be trademarked by Tormach, its theirs no question
about that.
But i guess it should be clear what its based upon or derived from (if any).

// Andreas