On 05/03/2015 08:32 PM, Tom Easterday wrote:

> Thanks Jon.  So you change the value in Hal depending on the threads you want
> to cut? Or you just have a setting that can do either and may not be as fast
> as possible for high thread count?

Oh, no, certainly not!  I chose some sane values that would
allow fairly fast spin-up/spin-down times, and then have to
remember that coarse threads need to be done at somewhat
lower RPM than fine ones.  This actually works out quite
well.  I can do 4-40 threads at 1000 RPM, which is quite
cool, and gives insane tap life.  I have never, to my
knowledge, worn out a 4-40 tap!  I will use it for thousands
of holes, and then break it due to a setup error.

I use these combo drill-taps that run about $8 each, and
allow ne to do essentially a spot-drill-tap operation
without a toolchange.

In general, the coarser thread pitches accompany larger tap
diameters, so tapping at 500 RPM for a 1/4" tap would likely
be reasonable, too.

Jon