On Thursday 07 May 2015 10:22:07 Dave Cole wrote:
> Just running ext4.    Yes, they will die eventually but apparently the
> write leveling software in the drives pushes that out many years.
> That drive I quoted isn't the fastest but it is fast enough and they
> seem rock solid reliable.
I would think their life could be enhanced by letting it take care of the
wear leveling, which would reduce the re-write housekeeping.  OTOH, if
you haven't destroyed any in 3 years, that says a hell of a lot. So I'll
gopher it.  I took the slow, free shipping option so it will be 10 days
or so.

In the meantime I might be able to grok why the X remoting is failing.
I sure hope anyway.

> An interesting article on SSDs and Linux.    Note that they recommend
> using ext4.
> http://www.leaseweblabs.com/2013/07/5-crucial-optimizations-for-ssd-us
>age-in-ubuntu-linux/

I'll take a look, thanks.

> If I can get 6-7 years out of a drive I would be happy.   Although my
> gut feel is that these drives may go well beyond 10 years without much
> difficulty.
> If the MOBO is a good one, the next weak link seems to be the power
> supply.
>
> Once I stick an SSD into an existing system, the number of calls for
> emergency service seems to drop way off.    They just don't screw
> up/flake out as much.
> Reliability goes way up.
>
> Dave

Thanks Dave