On 05.06.15 19:45, Gregg Eshelman wrote:
> Any place that says to contact them for a quote, or worse, create an
> account and login on the site to get a quote, does not get my business.
>
> Just put the prices on the site! If they need to change the prices they
> can simply... change the prices. With the right setup it can be as
> simple as editing a spreadsheet then saving as a CSV and uploading to
> the right place on their server.

It's my impression that those who act like harem guards w.r.t. their
website only want to admit customers with more money than sense of the
value (or otherwise) of the products offered. Fortunately the internet
is ideally suited to destroying artificial scarcity.

The place which won my business on Thursday was a surplus steel store
with their entire stock list of hundreds of tons of bar on-line. They
had only very modest amounts of stainless steel, but a couple of lengths
of an alloy I wanted. Now I know my way there - all due to an open
website policy. And cutting without charge, after I took a couple of
whole lengths just for mutual convenience (and more for my stash),
endeared them even further. Try that with the other lot.

Erik