Lasers engrave too, and should produce the same results in both of your
examples, although much quicker in the first example.

Even on a CNC router or a mill, there is a large amount of variation in
the results depending on spindle speed, cutter diameter, grain structure
and other physical properties of the material being engraved, etc.
Secondary operations are also a consideration.  If a wood plaque is
going to be engraved, spray painted to fill the engraving, and surface
sanded to remove the excess paint over spray, the top surface details
resulting from different engraving processes probably won't matter at
all to the finished product.

I can see people wanting the fastest path for some jobs and the slower
consistent engraving direction options.  Is there any way to make that a
parameter that can be set?

Isn't that always the way?  Give people an Exclusive OR choice and they
want the Inclusive OR option, and they inevitably ask, "Can't we have both?"
:-)

Thanks for your great work on gcmc.  Really good stuff there.