On 4 Jul 2015, at 01:13, Bertho Stultiens wrote:

> On 07/04/2015 01:54 AM, Stephen Dubovsky wrote:
>> If you look at something like Vectric's V-carve Pro it does the faster
>> no-lift case.  I suspect the high-end Aspire tool does the same since they
>> are based on the same code base.  For something like an A they don't even
>> lift to go back a little to get to the cross bar.  And its geared towards
>> wood routers that likely have more backlash than any mill.  I've used it to
>> engrave small 1/16" text in steel on the Supermax and see no issue w/ it
>> not lifting.

I used V-carve Pro this morning, for engraving text 2mm high and saw no
problems. I use it regularly for engraving and have not noticed artefacts.

> That is interesting because I always assumed that retracing a cut would
> be a bad thing and visible, due to primarily thermal effects, creating
> slightly different cuts on the retraced vs. single traced parts.

Given the small forces involved, and the cooling effect of neat cutting oil, I
can't see thermal effects being large enough to cause problems. Watching
V-carve engrave lettering, I see it move backwards within some strokes, but I
see no visual effects.

Marcus