On 08/02/2015 04:21 PM, John Kasunich wrote:

> He has a homemade encoder with less than perfect 50/50
> duty cycle and less than perfect 90deg phase shift.

This reminds of shopping for opto sensors for making encoders. For my
MPG I chose sensors with a very small window or effectively a narrow
beam, so the sensor On/Off region is small. I cut the 100 edge disk so
the edges were within a couple thousandths of the target location. My
oscilloscope shows very regular 50% signals as far as I can tell.

Another sensor configuration I've seen uses a wide window with a very
fine pitched mask and disk. The whole widow turns light or dark within
the pitch of the mask.

With this in mind, I would tend to fix the encoder hardware before
playing with software.

--
Kirk Wallace
http://www.wallacecompany.com/E45/