Andy    those machine are pretty cheap
moly wire and yes, they dont back up even with their own control.
notice the un-constant feed. thats the edm-servo loop racing to get back
to the correct gap position. This is an example of catch-up edm.
Instead of being in the right place, it cuts slower, then races in when
it finally hits the 'oh i cant spark to anything anymore' threshold.
While these machines are not in the correct position, lotsa pulses are
lost so its slow.
but
its cheap , uses a windlass lathe head like to wind and rewind the wire.
Its common in china.
where its cheap for when the wire breaks and the room is suddenly filled
with sharp wire rats nest. You really have to experience that someday.
and again,
they do produce good work at a low cost and low accuracy ( in wedm scope ).
and linuxcnc can do a better bang bang gap width control.

the generator will be a bigger hurdle than the control.
the surface will be uneven roughness unless the spark are iso-puls
( iso-energetic) and thats a trick what with patents.

Also you could radically speed it up with co-axial high pressure flush.
instead of that pee-on dribble this has.

tomp