Sebastian,

I was trying to do a quick rebuild of an old machine where the ssd died and
wanted to be able to use the existing configuration as is. I went ahead,
however and just finished installing lcnc 2.7 to xubuntu 12.04 from the
instructions here:
http://linuxcnc.org/docs/2.7/html/getting-started/getting-linuxcnc.html#_ins
talling_on_ubuntu_precise

Everything installed, but I got the shared memory error described here:
http://wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?LockedMemory

I somewhat arbitrarily increased the memlock value to 30720 and it is now
working.  On to modifying the configuration, as the original was lcnc 2.3.

Thanks,
Eric

I would not recommend Ubuntu 10.04 or LinuxCNC 2.5 for new installs.
But I believe you have your reasons and I won't try stop you ;-)

What's the URL to the install script you're using?  Sounds like maybe it's
buggy.

I think you mean the hostmot2 firmware, not the drivers?  The firmware is
available both from the hm2 buildbot at the apt source you listed, and in
the normal debian archive at linuxcnc.org:

deb http://linuxcnc.org/ $DIST base

(Replace $DIST with the distribution you're running, from "lsb_release
--short --codename".)

You need to add that deb archive to your sources.list, run "sudo apt-get
update", and then "apt-cache search hostmot2" should show all the
hostmot2 firmware debs that are available.

I'm not sure why i'm seeing it from my machine and you're not seeing it from
yours.