On Tuesday 10 November 2015 18:58:01 Bruce Layne wrote:

> The resolution is determined by the number of teeth on the gear that
> is being sensed by the two Hall effect sensors in that integrated
> Honeywell sensor.  For example, if you had a 100 tooth gear, you'd
> have 400 quadrature state changes per revolution.  A spindle speed
> sensor doesn't really need much resolution.
>
> As others have stated, there is no index pulse, so you'd need to add
> that for a spindle encoder if you wanted rigid tapping, but if you
> only wanted a spindle speed indicator, this should do the trick.
>
> The sensor looks very durable, mechanically.  Two discrete Hall effect
> sensors that we'd bend around until they were in a quadrature
> generating alignment would be cheaper, but not nearly as durable. It
> also looks like Honeywell put enough electronics in there to provide
> some much better noise immunity than discrete Hall effect sensors
> would probably have.

Interesting.  An opto, reflective style, watching a mark go around would
serve as an index I'd assume.  I did not pay enough attention if its
size was even noted, but something like that, watching the bottom gear
on the toys spindle might be just what the Dr. ordered.  The gear is at
least a 50 toother, maybe a few more.