On 13 January 2016 at 16:09, Rick Lair <r...@superiorroll.com> wrote:

> I have never dealt with stepper motors/drives and one of the guys at our
> shop is kicking around converting and old 9x30 Southbend lathe to cnc
> using Linuxcnc

My Chinese 9x30 is OK on the X with a 2.5Nm stepepr but a bit weak on
the Z with a 3.5Nm stepper.

If I was converting a lathe using steppers (and I am not, I am
converting using servos) then I think I would be looking at the
new-fangled closed-loop steppers.

For Z probably:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/121787201520
And something a bit shorter in the hope if tucking it back underneath
the saddle for X
http://www.ebay.com/itm/111796968667

That is just an indication of what I am talking about, not in any way
a recommendation of manufacturer or supplier.

Squeezing a ball-nut into the X axis is often difficult. It is also
possibly unnecessary. If there is one place where backlash
compensation stands a good chance of working it is the X-axis of a
lathe. it is never much of a problem with a manual lathe, is it?  I
don't think I have ever made a lathe cut where the X axis cutting
force changed direction.

--
atp
If you can't fix it, you don't own it.