I've read that it is hard to use steppers for closed loop CNC.  If this is
still true could some one explain the theory.

I have a small mill with DRO scales that are good to about .001 inch and
I'd like to put them to use with my planned CNC conversion.   I understand
software.  I've worked in the field for 30 years and have experience with
Linux (and other OS) device drivers, embedded real time code and so on.
If the problem is simply that no one has bothered to write the code, I can
fix that.   But if there is something of a mechanical nature I'm not
thinking of maybe some one can point me at what I need to read up on.

At least I think I might be able too automatically measure backlash using
the DRO scale data.  But my goal is to go closed loop if I can

--

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California