On 01/21/2016 12:41 PM, John Dammeyer wrote:
> I'm a little puzzled.
>
> Lately the discussion on servos and LinuxCNC appears to give the impression
> that the only solution is a PC and boards from Mesa.  Does that mean
> LinuxCNC has now become a defacto Mesa product?

Well, I sure hope not!  Pico Systems was making analog
servo, stepper and digital servo products starting in 2002
for the original EMC program.  Our products are organized a
little differently that Mesa's, we have a board for each
basic system type rather than reprogramming the board for
what type of I/O you want.

Mesa's scheme is to sell the FPGA board at a VERY low price,
but then you need a number of add-ons.
We try to sell one unit that is as complete a controller as
we can, at the best price we can still make a few dollars on.

While we are not coming out with a new product every month,
we tried to make a complete controller, and then provide a
stable product. When computers got faster, it caused some
issues with the connectivity between the PC and the
controller board, and we had to make changes to keep that
working.  But, we've tried to make everything backward
compatible.  I know (due to occasional repairs and
questions) that some of the controller boards we sold as far
back as 2004 are still in use.

Jon