Greetings all;

That code snippet I posted to the devel list, could use some help.

These parts are nominally 2.05" wide, and I normally locate them in the
vise so they are resting against a small bit of wood held across the end
of the jaw opening as I clamp them up in the vise.

However, judging where to touchoff X, or play with Y to get the cut
centered on the wood, which will vary as wood will, is being a problem.

If I could somehow determine the Y offset that would put the tip of the
cutter at a fixed point, I could then drive the machine to put the
corner of the edge of the wood at that fixed point about 10 thou from
touching the near corner as I turn the cutter past it by hand, would be
a tremendous amount of help.

Then I could put in if needed, some fixed offsets to make sure it doesn't
overcut and wreck another part. I only have 3 spare parts left to
experiment with right now before I have to make more, and they are
slightly thicker raw material than a S4S 1by, so I have to cut up sticks
of mahogany that were going to be Gibson Guitar necks but failed
inspection.  I do have 3 or 4 more of those, but the supply isn't
exactly endless.

The final size of the arc is as yet unk, but is designed in my head to
make up for the fact that my home made cutter for this is about 1/2" too
small to cut the arc directly, it would be too deep in the center, so
the arc is to effectively expand the cutters diameter by however much is
correct. For sure, the .73" set in that code when I posted it is too
much as I am still overcutting the edge of the workpiece. I found after
making the first tooth that I had to make it about 1/4" longer for heel
clearance, and because of the cutter attack angles, the wings of the
cutter had to be opened up at an included angle of about 110 degrees in
order for it to be 90 dgrees as it swings.

In my mind (whats left of it), the ideal would be to drive x straight
with y=0  until it touches in the center, subject only to the 2 thou per
pass x increment, and let that be a fixed point by calculating the x
retraction as the arc is done and adjusting the r value to "flatten the
wings of the arc" by enough to cut the exact same arc as exists, with
that center point remaining motionless.  As it exists now, the g3
determines the amount of center projection.  It shouldn't have to move
much in order to put the tooth as close to the corner as it can be/is,
sufficient to touch the corner is all I need, and even at less than the
width of the part, the motions are obviously excessive, cutting huge
amouns of air on both sides of the part.

A outline of a procedure to do that would be a learning experience to
implement. So would a method to automatically adjust the length of the
arcs chord to get rid of the air cut as its wasted time.  I'd assume
that this is interlocked, but which to calculate first? IDK.

Many thanks for any hints.