Depends on how you define suitable.  For straight up hard-switched
boost/buck I would agree.  Try implementing something like phase-shift
modulation to get 'free' ZVS soft-switching (lower EMI and higher
efficiency) and I will disagree.  The microcontroller horsepower typically
isn't lacking but the timer/pwm generators they use usually are.  It
doesn't take much of a change to build a truly universal pwm generator
timer but we have to implement them in small fpgas.  FWIW, we can payoff a
$5 fpga in heatsink and power silicon savings.