Andy,
any PVC cable will be damaged by oil environment as the softeners
(phthalates) are dissolved or washed out by the oleic acids and oleates,
hardening the insulation and thus adding flexure strain to the copper
strands. Caoutchouc (india rubber or synthetic rubber) cables will in
turn soften and become gooey and sticky. Use Oilflex cable, the only
manufacturer I know is Lapp cable in Germany.

In addition, cheap cables (such as used in cars for financial reasons)
contain copper alloys that tend toward bronze properties which makes
them break in places with frequent flexure (e.g., car doors). These
copper alloys harden cold by deformation so they will flex besides the
place where they were flexed last time, until the cable core also turns
inflexible. Often these cheap cables contain only few, but heavy strands
(e.g., 12 to 16) instead of 50 to 100 fine wires. In all of our japanese
rice cars I had to splice the cables to the tail lights after part of
their lifetime. Regularly, I replaced them with fine stranded laboratory
cables.

Regards
Peter

Am 18.04.2016 14:01, schrieb andy pugh:
> On a CNC machine it is worth considering the oil resistance of cables.
> Also, if mounted in a drag-chain you my need to use especially
> flexible cables. (I replaced the prox wires in my Chinese lathe for
> the second time this weekend, the standard cable that comes bonded
> into the cheap prox switches seems to have limited life when flexed).
>
> On the Holbrook I am trying to make a somewhat higher-quality job of
> things, and that includes trying to source the right cabling.
>
> A useful source (in the UK) is Rapid Electronics who seem to have
> access to the inventory of Conrad Electronics, and who sell cables by
> the metre. This is useful, as these cables run to £100s or even £1000s
> per reel.
> For Smart Serial devices, and anything else using CAT5 cables these
> are probably ideal (the PUR sheathed variants)
>
> http://www.rapidonline.com/lappkabel-2170297-unitronic-ethernet-blue-data-cable-4x2x0-22mm-od-6-3mm-49-1788
> (see the table at the bottom for variations)
>
> For cables in drag chains they have a special section:
> http://www.rapidonline.com/drag-chain-cable
>
> Of those this one is probably ideal for Modbus:
> http://www.rapidonline.com/lappkabel-unitronic-bus-pb-fd-p-violet-cable-555062
>
> And this for resolver/encoder data:
> http://www.rapidonline.com/lappkabel-6fx8008-green-data-cable-555138
>
> However, an even cheaper option for Modbus seems to be musician-rated
> cable. I have installed some of this and it works very well for my
> VFD.
> http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/141838984494

---