Greetings;

One of the things I am noticing, when running this crippled Z drive at
various speeds, is that up to about 3/4 rps at its shaft, it moves dead
silently, but by 2 rps, its rattling tools off the table, exactly as if
is was being full stepped, and it doesn't become at all smooth again
until its moving the head at 25 ipm or more, then stalls at just under
48 ipm.

2 related questions then;

This is a DM860 drive.  It it known to drop the microstepping at an
unusually low rps?

I'm looking at the DQ2722MA, 110-220VAC, 7.0A, 200 Microstep, driver/psu
combined, which is 110-250 volt AC powered, which would remove the 350
watter doing that job now, but its close to $185 in a box on my front
deck. So by the time I get the 906 oz motor Greg B. recommends, and hang
some counterweighting springs on this thing I'll have close to $300 USD
in solving this problem once and for all.

What say you folks?  Will this truly solve it?

Thank you all.