From: Marius Alksnys [mar...@robotise.lt]
Sent: Friday, April 29, 2016 2:24 PM
To: emc-users@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: [Emc-users] A bit OT: DNC - NC file server from microcomputer?

I have a question how to simplify file transfer from, let's say, USB
flash drive to a CNC machine with specifically Fanuc 18t controller.

Now this machine has its own old laptop with old MS Win and some DNC
software. It takes several clicks on the PC and several non trivial
Fanuc panel button presses including correct sequence of them. And to my
surprise operators are used to this.

As I was used to DNC, there was a PC with shared NC folder(s) on a
network, connected through serial port (and adapter if needed) to the
CNC machine(s). There was no need to come to this PC.
 From the machine side (with old Heidenhain controller) I had to press
EXT, enter file number, press Enter and that's all - I had any file I
wanted of any size in the machine in drip-feed mode! And this was
reallly old machine.

Now I see this not so old (about 2006) Fanuc and I am surprised how
complicated life is for the operators..

Do you have an idea how to use BeagleBone or similar micro device glued
to the side of the panel of the machine to work as a USB adapter or even
+ LAN file server?