On 05/03/2016 07:46 AM, andy pugh wrote:
> On 3 May 2016 at 13:37, Gene Heskett <ghesk...@wdtv.com> wrote:
>>> And does the "fail to turn off" problem description include not
>>> turning off ever again, even when removed from the circuit and from
>>> all power?
>> Generally yes, its an avalanche mode failure that shorts the switching
>> junction.
> I am not 100% clear on the source of this dv/dt. Is it simply the
> result of turning on the main contactor, with the SSR turned off, when
> the mains supply is in a high part of the sine wave?

The mains wires have inductance.  The SSRs should only turn
off at zero current, so that SHOULD help.  But, your SSRs
BOTH failed! That is an indication something is wrong.  Is
this SSR setup between a transformer secondary and the
rectifier?  Or, are you using it direct off the mains?  If
there is a transformer, the leakage inductance could be
playing a part.

Yes, I suppose flipping the mains contactor will give a huge
dV/dt, practically unlimited.  That's why an RC snubber
across the SSR outputs would help even more than an MOV,
which will only clip voltage peaks.

Jon