This is clearly ancient history but: many years ago in a time before
time ....
a guy needed a CC device to light orchard heaters. Nichrome coiled
elements in series; must touch off either oil or propane. It used an
off-the-shelf SCR feeding (ugh!) an 240 v to 440 v transformer.
Indeed the dv/dt's were horrible. Still I got by with plain SCR's not
the radar spec ones.
On short strings they switched for only about 6 degrees. Amazing what
one can do (it helps to
be young and dumb and poor) and that was 45 years ago.  The project got
dumped, I suspect, simply because of liability.
However, one could light off 20 A of orchard in about 5 min.

Dave