On Fri, May 27, 2016 at 11:16:22PM +0000, Matthew Hubbard wrote:

> ??Hi allI am in the process of doing a retrofit on an old yuasa
> cnc mill. The machine has a relay board that i can interface with
> that executes m codes. For example if i ground the coil of the
> relay (momentarily) for the M3 relay, the spindle latches on, and
> if i do that for the M5 relay, the spindle latches off. My current
> understanding is that by default if I command an M3 it will hold
> the M3 signal on until i command an M5, where it turns off again.
> Can somebody point me in the right direction of how i can control
> on/off with two signals?

I would sure do this with ladder.  You can use rising-edge (the ones
that look like -|^|- ) to trigger timers that poke your relays for
the appropriate amount of time.  I bet you will end up with
interlocks, etc, that are really easy to do in ladder, and totally
possible but really tedious to do in bare hal.

Ladder has a learning curve but for any nontrivial machine (does it
have a tool changer?) it's worth your time to learn it anyway.

The other answer is probably to use a bunch of oneshot components,
but consider what happens if you turn the spindle on and then
immediately off - if they're not carefully interlocked you'll end up
poking your M3 and M5 signals at the same time (which may or may not
be ok...?)

Chris