On Tuesday 28 June 2016 19:34:50 andy pugh wrote:

> On 29 June 2016 at 00:25, Gene Heskett <ghesk...@shentel.net> wrote:
> > I've read the quite limited description in the wiki, but see no way
> > to effect an X move dependent on the Z position.
> >
> > Is there any hope of doing this?
>
> lincurve and offset

Lincurve I am familiar with to a limited extent, tried to use it to
linearize spindle speeds vs issued command, failing to get usable
reslts.  Problem turned out to be in the single quadrant driver, and was
99% eliminated by switching to a Pico PWMServo amplifier to drive the
spindle.

IIRC it can only do 16 individul points per module of it loaded.  And the
man page doesn't state if it can be expanded. Obviously the answer is
yes, up to 144 points with a mux16 selecting which of the 16 lincurves
to take the output from, but the logic to drive the select lines will
get hairy.  As will the hal file to build all that.

OTOH, maybe 16 points would be enough considering that the H frame
carriage has a footprint on the ways of about a foot wide, the needed
correction needen't be that fine grained because it is not going to tip
that much in 4" of motion.

So when stuff shows up and I can make swarf, I should concentrate on the
crossfeed handle/shaft to screw mating as this ball screw is a few thou
smaller than the 3/8" nose of the old screw, and the old screw is
slotted for a drive pin to couple the handle to the screw, while the
tapering jig is telescoping that 3/8" shaft in and out of the handle.
And ingenious way to do it, IF the taper clamp bolt worked to solidly
lock the taper jig to the back end of the crossfeed, which it doesn't,
and the drive clutch in the apron worked, but its very easily made to
slip.  The rear end clamp might work if its bottom face was lapped flat,
but its not even up to the std of a 4" piece of hot rolled bar out of
the metal bin at TSC  Obviously a shop made piece, not the OEM by any
definition.

So I'll keep the lincurve + offset solution in mind as it can fix at
least 95% of any errors.  Thanks for making me think Andy.