On 28 August 2016 at 09:12, Lester Caine <les...@lsces.co.uk> wrote:
> I've 2 CNC lathes sitting in storage waiting for computers to go with
> them. Actually 3 but the third still needs the electronics rebuilding.
> The hold-up is that Mach3 lathe will do some jobs but I'm not as
> confident it will be as productive as the mills are. ELS is a possible
> half way house, but I think these machines deserve some hardware that
> will use the encoders on their spindles, and for that I think the
> coprocessor approach is the best way forward, but the LinuxCNC options
> still need to become a little more mature?

When you say "coprocessor" are you talking about things like
BeagleBone (remote CPU running LinuxCNC) or Mesa/Pico (FPGA running
high-speed realtime tasks)?
I think that for a servo system PnCConf setting up a Mesa 5i25/7i76
system is _largely_ turnkey, but some configuration is likely to be
needed for the toolchanger simply because there is such a variation.

--
atp
lunatics."