On Wednesday 05 October 2016 07:44:08 linden wrote:

> Happy birthday Gene,
>
>      Thank you for generously sharing your wealth of diverse knowledge
> and experience with the likes of us. If it were not for a hole
> generation of men and women like you that took the time and had the
> patience to share there experiences and show this little hippy kid how
> the world worked who knows where I would have ended up.
>
>         I hope one day I am as active and as willing to help others as
> you have been and facing every situation with a twist of humor.
>
> As my grandmother that made it to 99 was fond of saying "growing up is
> optional growing old is inevitable"
>
> Take care and looking forward to here more words of wisdom and the odd
> random though that rattles around in that head of yours for years to
> come.
>
> Linden

Thank you Linden.  Your Grandmother was an astute observer of life.  And
I do hope, as we all do, to get to the age where we don't think of
something in terms of its commercial advantage just to ourselves.  I
think the word is altruistic.  If I can benefit, so can all of us.

That discovery of being able to cut a tapered thread with the std g76 was
one such.  The angles are less than pipe thread in taper, but extremely
usefull when coupling a knob/shaft to a ball screw, and the grip seems
extremely capable of anchoring that screw forever in day to day work.
Until such time as I must replace the screw, its a bit small for the
job, but I had it on the shelf. In retrospect, now that I understand it
better, I could have invoked it a second time for the straight threaded
portion by offsetting the starting point an exact multiple of the pitch.
But I only had to make one, and what I did, had some interference at the
transition point, but worked anyway.  What surprised me was that the G76
doc rewrite just done, still contains the statement that E cannot be
more than half the thread length cut when, if using L2, E can be as
large as the thread length minus one pitch.  That is not an error, and
its a great way to do a low angle taper for a compression fitting.  As
shown by the snapshots I posted.