There are multiple parameters:

1.  You can declare the homing switch to be a coordinate other than 0.
e.g. "after we settle on the switch, this axis is offset so this is now
+1.25 inches"

2.  You can set axis limits at anything.  I probably would never set a
negative coord as a limit but maybe that's just me.

3.  You can send the axis anywhere after homing.   e.g. "settle on the
homing switch, call that +1.25", then move to 0.5" and leave it there."

Danny