On 31 October 2016 at 14:44, John Kasunich <jmkasun...@fastmail.fm> wrote:
> That's why I don't own a digital caliper.  Mine all have dials (except the
> 36" Starrett vernier) and I've never had a dead battery in 17 years.

There are games that you can play with the resettable zero and dual
units of a digital that you can't with a dial caliper.

For example, if making metric parts on an imperial lathe: Set the
caliper to the metric size, zero it, switch to imperial. You now have
an automatic calculation of how many thou above or below the nominal
size you are, with no need for any mental arithmetic.

Anyway, the point of my initial email seems to have rather been
missed: It appears that the calipers are internaly imperial rather
than metric, because the measurement was breaking down on exact tenths
of  inches readings. A new battery has restored the caliper to
function, but what I was remarking on was that the exact failure mode
told me something interesting.

--
atp
lunatics."