On Monday 19 December 2016 04:33:49 andy pugh wrote:

> On 19 December 2016 at 03:33, Gene Heskett <ghesk...@shentel.net>
wrote:
> > But I have neither the module, nor that manpage. ISTR we had
> > something like that in older releases?  But the *_hall3 manpage says
> > it was created 2 weeks ago.
>
> the "bldc" module can do all that bldc_hall3 can do, and is intended
> as a replacement.
> However, the component has not (as yet) been removed in case someone
> is using it.
>
> We should probably consider removing it in 2.8.
>
> The manpages are auto-generated from the .comp files so the creation
> date is not the date written.

I see.  From the description, I assume this would be for an axis drive,
eg a drive that is mechanically locked via timing belts or such.

Worthless as a spindle control if there are v belts between the motor and
the encoder.

Sounds pretty complex. And probably as cpu intensive as a pid module.  I
note that in the raspi version, the example lathe config which I am
starting with, uses no pid modules at all. So the assumption must be
inferred that the TP does it all, and the positioning of the steppers
assumes they follow precisely.

Since the G33.1 for rigid tapping needs an acceleration to Z speed move,
assuming the starting z point is some bit of air cut prior to the taps
entry in the hole, how does this effect the maximum rpms that can be
used as compared to the PID's ability to run it a little faster to catch
up?  Seems to me it will be limited to some slower max rpm.

I'll find out of course once I have everything moving.

==================

I am still constructing the interconnect cable, and its completed to the
all grounds connected state. I wrote another sd card for the pi I have,
and spent several hours last night update it, and applying the
cmdline.txt stuff, watching dmesg to make sure they all took. Some of my
instability was typu's as the font my browser uses, made it very
difficult to see that the FIG stuff was in fact FIQ. That, and the
apparent randomness of the use of a _ vs a -.  Then I installed synaptic
and turned it loose to update it. 3 hours later I left it running as it
wasn't done.  And I am puzzled that it never went above 3% cpu while
doing that.  So that update of several hundred packages took lots longer
than it needed to IMO.  And I forgot to install the amanda-client, so it
didn't get backed up last night.

All that was done with the cable connected only to the pi. So once I get
some caffeine installed, I'll have synaptic install the amanda bits.
Then a shutdown, install the 7i90 end of the cable and reboot for
effect. That will connect all the grounded stuff together in the 7i90 as
a way to check that I didn't get a wrong pin connected.

If that has no effect, then I'll make up the last 4 signal connections in
this adapter cable, and reboot for effect.  If none, install the rt
kernel.  If that still works, install the linuxcnc tarball. If it won't
run, and I get an all-balls cookie from the 7i90, then I'll have
confirmed a blown gpio pin in this pi. But one thing at a time, with
solid, can't hit the wrong pin cabling. Once the cable has been proved,
cover the bottom of it so it can't short to something on the pi. The
cable is exactly long enough so there is that possibility as it come
across the top of the pi to get to the 7i90.

One step at a time, sure takes time...

Thanks Andy.