On Saturday 31 December 2016 13:50:38 Chris Albertson wrote:

> Gene,
>
> I think you know all this but I wonder if you implemented it.....
>
> I wonder if the issue is not with grounding.   If a signal moves
> relative to ground maybe it is the ground that moves?   The only way
> to avoid a moving ground is tomato absolutely certain that it is
> impossible for current to flow through a ground line.  The ground
> moves because volts is current times reactance (Ohms law) Yes
> "reactance" not resistance because we are dealing with AC.
>
> Every positive power supply line needs a dedicated return line and
> keep them inside the same cable assembly or even twisted.   The fields
> cancel that way,  no common ground return paths
>
> The only way I know to prove there is not current in a ground line is
> to remember Kirkoff:  Current flows in a loop.  Make the ground such
> that there are no loops.   This is VERY hard to do an requires things
> like lifting the connect to a shielded cable on one end and
>
> I think the most serious problems are common ground current returns
>
> My experience with this is mostly with professional level audio where
> we try and keep noise at the -100 dB level.  It can be done even with
> switching mode power supplies
> Noise can also readout but never through a grounded metal box
>
> A good thing to invest in is a lab grade bend power supply.  Even the
> cheap $100 units are decent.  When you are building your prototype
> systems use that known-good power supply.  I think you said you were
> using a re-cycled computer power supply.

Heavens no Chris, what I said was that I had cut the entrance filters out
of a couple of them, one was on a separate PCB, but the other I had to
drive the mill around the corners to cut it out of the main PCB.

But see my post of a few minutes ago, this could be the ultimate solution
since its the SPI bus that is being mucked with.