On Sunday 01 January 2017 23:39:21 Cecil Thomas wrote:

> I am running a cnc'd jet 9x20 lathe with a treadmill motor and dc
> motor controller with a 5k pot for speed control in manual.
>
> I previously was running the speed controlled from LCNC from the
> parport to  an opto interupter for isolation from the motor
> controller which worked fine.
>
> I was running Gecko 320's with direct connection to the parport cable
> (no breakout board).  Everything worked as advertised but a little
> slow due to latency issues. I recently upgraded to mesa 5i25/7i78 and
> have worked out all the problems (mostly created by myself).
> ...Except for one:
>
> I am using the 7i78's isolated pwm to analog output for speed control
> and it works as advertised as well which means that the "wiper"
> voltage on pin 17 starts out at 10 volts when the speed command is 0
> rpm and goes down to 0 volts when the speed command is at max.
> I know that the 7i78 manual warns that this will be the case and that
> the "pwm must be inverted" if I need the analog out to follow the
> speed command directly instead of inversely.
>
> Problem is that I can't figure out where or how to "invert the
> PWM".  The only signal I seem to be able to access in hal is floating
> point rpm 0 to max (my max is 1200 rpm).  So when I invert the signal
> the result is the mathmatical reciprocal of 1 to 1200
> or 1 to .00083333. Of course when this gets to the motor controller
> the resulting output is 0 speed at all demands.
>
> How and where do I 'invert the pwm'

I think, (Hi Cecil) that you should treat the 5i25's pwm output pin as if
it was a gpio, and set it to "is-inverted". That should turn the output
upside down and do what you need.  That does seem odd though.  And I am
assuming the pwm itself is generated in the 5i25.  I would be inclined
to replace that 7i78's d/a with a SpinX1, which is what I have 2 of in
my systems now, one in the lathe you helped load last summer, running a
vfd and a 1hp 3phase I bought a pair of from a local recycler, and the
7x12 has a 1 hp treadmill motor being controlled by one of the Pico
systems pwm-servo's.

At risk of being a bit picky to set up, another way is to also use a
sum2, with input 0 set at 10 with a gain of 1, and input 1's gain
(scale?) at -1, feeding its input with the 0-10 signal from the PID.
Feed the resultant 10 to 0 signal to the 5i25.  But I'd druther just
tell that gpio pin to invert the waveform. Thats just an extra setp in
the hal file.

Have a better 2017 Cecil.