These and the like are all over eBay.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/STM32F103C8T6-ARM-STM32-Minimum-System-Development-Board-Module-For-Arduino-DHUS-/321569700934?hash=item4adf0c3c46:g:Q7AAAOSw0kNXhGr~

The search term is "minimum system arm"

There are two types both under $5 but I'm using the STM32F103 based parts.
  These are 72MHz clocked 32-bit CPUs with 64K flash.  No floating point.
See below if you need that.

I have several of the above and can program them with Arduino IDE.  Someone
wrote a boot loader but I mostly use the ST-Link from ST Micro and flash it
without using a boot loader.    There are a number of free tool chains

Another one I like costs more ($13.83 at Digikey) but is much more powerful
as it has hardware floating point
http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/stmicroelectronics/NUCLEO-F401RE/497-14360-ND/4695525

ST makes a large range of Nucleo boards.  The "401" is a good starting
point.   Notice the board is design so you can cut it.  It actually snaps
in half so you can remove the programmer.   Also you can pull the jumper
blocks and "remove it.    But here is the good part the Nucleo programmer
works with the STM32F103 board from eBay if you can rig a few jumper wires
with female ends.   Or buy a clone of the ST-Link which is the same thing.

Also there is the "TI Launchpad" from Texas Instruments that sell for about
$10 and some of them have TI's ARM chip.  But for the same price I think
Nucleo offers more flexibility.

But you can't beat the price of the minimum ARM system on eBay.  I've seen
them for as low as $3 with are shipping but now it looks like they $4 each
shipped

As I said Arduino IDE works but look up  "mbed"  It is a free RTOS and IDE
that is web based or if you don't like that it can be CLI based or Eclipse
based.  It is almost as easy to use as Arduino but a real multi-tasking
RTOS that runs on these little ARM Cortex M chips.

REMEBER.  The ARM Cortex M is a micro controller that competes with Atmel
AVR and the larger 32-bit PIC.  Clock speed is on the order of 100 MHz.
The ARM Cortex A is the more powerful type that runs Linux and is likely
inside your cell phone. Clock is on the order of 1 Ghz and many of the "A
type" are multi core, up to quad core.   So, no, you can't buy a computer
that runs Linux for $2.83   To run Linux you need something like a Pi3 for
$35.   The Pi3 needs about 1 amp to run.  The typical M0 can run on
literally micro-amps, like a coin size battery.  (Well, uA if you
understand power management.  mA if you don't.)

On Wed, Feb 22, 2017 at 7:26 PM, Dave Cole <linuxcncro...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 2/22/2017 12:36 PM, Chris Albertson wrote:
> > Now that ARM based boards are available for under $5 I've completely
> > moved away from AVR.
>
> I'm missing something.
>
> Where can you buy ARM based boards for under $5.00?  Or did you mean $50 ?
>
> The Arduino Zero is $54 -$40 and the Neutrino, the kickstarter clone of
> the Zero is $19 if you can buy one.
> Both boards also work with the Atmel ICE as well apparently.
>
> Dave

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California