On Monday 03 April 2017 11:37:54 andy pugh wrote:

> I am making a 4th-axis out of an FHA Harmonic drive. This is an
> integrated system of harmonic drive, crossed-roller bearing and servo
> motor.
>
> Specs here. I am working with the 25-sized part:
> http://www.harmonicdrive.net/products/rotary-actuators/hollow-shaft-ac
>tuators/fha-c (Note that the -C variant is much harder to interface
> than the -B variant to LinuxCNC-supported hardware)
>
> I have just handed over the pattern to the foundry for a right-angle
> housing. http://a360.co/2oQX7Ct

link crashes firefox.  Expected?

> is the 3D model of the pattern. The inner bore will need to be
> machined to suit the harmonic drive.
>
> I have just checked, and the casting can just about be used with the
> FHA-17 sized actuators (the mounting flange cleans-up to give a land
> around the mounting screws, but with a rather generous chamfer) and
> you _could_ use it with the FHA-32 size if you were prepared to
> break-through the top semicircle and dress back what is left.
>
> I don't yet know how much each casting will cost, but I would guess
> approximately £75. I should have an estimate later in the week.
> So far I have 3 spoken-for. One for me and one each for two other
> folk. Does anyone else want one, bearing in mind that they are likely
> to be 13kg and postage to (for example) the US would be £50 and
> Germany £11.

We have a foundry here, but no clue what sort of a 3d file they might
accept. Or what they might have as an NRE price policy. Currently their
main contract is for wheel hubs for 20" and 24" White Truck wheels.
White being one of our smaller truck makers in terms of the overall
market for "large cars" here in the US. So I'd expect the NRE stuff may
be farmed out, and the finished form shipped back for pouring and final
machining.