On 04/04/2017 08:57 PM, Dave Cole wrote:
> Here is a discussion about inertial mismatch.
>
> http://www.motioncontrolonline.org/content-detail.cfm/Motion-Control-Technical-Features/Understanding-the-Mysteries-of-Inertia-Mismatch/content_id/404
>
> The Sizing software that Automation Direct has on their website can be
> used to check motor sizing for non-Automation Direct motors.
>
> I have used it for years and it has never missed.
>
> Run the calculations and see how well they matched your original motors.
>     That will give you an idea if you can get by with 1/2 of the original
> motor inertia.

The only time you really have to be concerned about inertia
matching is in cases where the bandwidth of the servo loop
is capable of exciting resonances in  coupling between the
motor and the table. This could be a REAL issue in a system
coupled with a timing belt driving the table directly.  It
is probably a lot less of an issue in leadscrew systems,
although there can be torsional resonances in the leadscrew.

Jon