On Wednesday 05 April 2017 04:56:43 andy pugh wrote:

> On 5 April 2017 at 03:31, Gene Heskett <ghesk...@shentel.net> wrote:
> > Interesting, using a wooden mockup.  Nice
>
> That's the traditional way to make cast parts. A wooden pattern is
> built up by hand and is used to make sand moulds.
> If you know the right suppliers you can buy special products to form
> fillets and letters etc in your wooden pattern.
> http://www.johnburn.co.uk/product-range/leather-fillet-wax-fillet-shee
>t-wax/leather-fillet/

My experience dates from the late 1950's, and the products were in bas
relief on 1/4" thick alu sheets, sometimes with sand molded pipes stuck
in for sprue's etc. Corn planter seed plates, gear cases for Maytag
Washing machines, that sort of thing.  Some of the stuff we made wasn't
easily ID'd as to what part of a machine it may be for. And we didn't
have time to ask any in depth questions when you are doing enough a day
to be on piecework pay.