Sebastian,

Thanks for the information and the patience with me.  In the config created by
stepconf on my machine I see the following in the hal file.

loadusr -W hal_manualtoolchange
net tool-change iocontrol.0.tool-change => hal_manualtoolchange.change
net tool-changed iocontrol.0.tool-changed <= hal_manualtoolchange.changed
net tool-number iocontrol.0.tool-prep-number => hal_manualtoolchange.number
net tool-prepare-loopback iocontrol.0.tool-prepare => iocontrol.0.tool-prepared

So to add the external button, assuming it is on parallel port pin 15 I would
add the following?

net tool-changed-btn iocontrol.0.tool-changed <= parport.0.pin-15-in

I thought that there would need to be some separation of the two output pins,
parport.0.pin-15-in and hal_manualtoolchange.changed in order to feed it to the
input pin iocontrol.0.tool-changed.  That is why I thought of using the OR
gate.  I was led to this reasoning from the
http://linuxcnc.org/docs/2.7/html/hal/basic-hal.html page with this line ( I
have Marked with ***):

A pin can be connected to a signal if it obeys the following rules:

    An IN pin can always be connected to a signal

    An IO pin can be connected unless there’s an OUT pin on the signal

***    An OUT pin can be connected only if there are no other OUT or IO pins on
the signal

It looks like I didn't quite understand that.

Joe