Okuma has had this feature going back to the time when the tape reader would
rewind, then read through a punch tape to find the named program.

They called this type a "Schedule" program and it had a file type of something
like .skd or some such. In later CNC controls (OSP3000 or later (late 70's
early 80's)) this feature was normally used with the tool management option
which tracked each tools actual cutting time and would "replace" the tool with
its designated spare once the allotted cut time had expired. So even though
your program called tool #2 the machine would call #20 and used the H & D
values for #20 until you reset the tool management for tool #2.

If you are PROPERLY utilizing the tool table and work coordinate offsets there
is no reason why you can't run several different programs back to back sharing
the same tools in the ATC without any issues.

Often the limiting factors are work area real estate and the capacity of your
ATC. I have been lucky in that most machines I have had to program multiple
concurrent jobs on have been big enough. The Okuma MC4-VAE-HS had a 32 tool
ATC, The Mori Seiki SV50 had 30 and the Kitamura HX400 had 50. The HX400 also
had like 106 Work shift offsets.

While this starts going off topic - In the real world of factory production,
labor and machines are only earning there keep when the spindles are running.
This means that everything that can be done without interfering with that goal
is done. Running the HX400 I was the primary operator, with a assistant.
doing in process inspection and QC took every spare second. We took staggered
breaks. Tools would be mounted up in the CAT40 holders and offsets determained
by a Mititoyo CMM. A program would be generated that was nothing but a long
list of G10's and that program was on a floppy disk that was put in a pocket on
the tool cart with a printout telling the operator which tool went in each ATC
pocket. Often the ATC magazine loading was done while the machine was running.

Labor costs (and shop floor real estate) are high in first world countries. To
stay competitive manufacturing applies technology as much as is practical to
maintain high output and efficiency.

Greg, out yonder in Yoder, CO.