On 07.05.17 16:56, Gene Heskett wrote:
> I'm very impressed with the lack of data on the up-shop.net web site as
> to just what these atom powered things have, they don't even say how
> wide the gpio count is, so I may have bought a very lightweight
> paperweight, but the card was accepted for one just like Erik said he
> had bought. 2 gigs of ram, 16gigs of eMMC for a disk drive. $124
> shipped.  With suitable drivers, all running x86/intel code, its
> promising.  The forum is loaded with this and that don't work messages
> though.

Gene, what I bought is a Udoo X86, and on their forum there's talk of
this and that not working too, at least until someone tells them how to
do it. My only issue so far is that I'm a bit down the delivery list,
and it may yet be a week or two before mine arrives. (Still, it's better
that they hauled up and fixed the PCB issue, rather than ship substandard
goods.)

> I don't see a debian for downloading but I'd prefer it, jessie
> is close to EOL, and rumors are saying stretch is fairly stable now.

It ought to be able to boot from USB or SD card, so just do the same
vanilla stuff as in the Udoo howto, which is here?:

https://www.udoo.org/tutorial/creating-a-bootable-micro-sd-card-with-linux-ubuntu-from-image/

You just grab any linux distro you fancy, off the intertubes. (I've put
a ubuntu-16.04.1-desktop-amd64.iso onto a flash drive, and am impatient
for the board to arrive.)

> Theres some sort of a ubuntu I never heard of, yocto (whats that?) and
> whatever is running the fawncy phones these days.

Heard of it, but never seen it in action. I'd try debian or ubuntu first
- just google for "latest ubuntu iso" or similar.

And in the other post, On 10.05.17 23:42, Gene Heskett wrote:
> I've had the usb monitor thing running several times, and that got me to
> throw away a usb extension cord that was picking up megabits of raw
> noise so I plugged the rx buttons directly into the pi, and without too
> much between the keyboard and the button but 25 feet of air, and it
> never misses a keystroke.  Of course since the sd card is on the usb
> stuff, I also see the "disk" traffic, but its not "busy".  Next reboot,
> the usbtrace looks the same but no response to keyup events about 90% of
> the time.  The events are getting thru the rx buttons, but the pi is
> ignoring them.

Presumably the RPi will boot from USB or SD card, so you could grab
another ARMish linux distro off the net, and run that to see if it's
hardware or software that is the issue? At the very least, get away from
any RT kernel, and run a vanilla distro. Then you know where to direct
further energy.

> Were you getting an up-board? Or was that Erik?

Not too sure what the up-board is ... ah, it looks neat, but the site is
slow, and it's a bit of a dig to get past the waffle, to find what it
can do. I gave up. Please tell us what it's like once you have it home
from market.

I bought the Udoo thingy because it can handle 3 4K screens
simultaneously, and I need one mobo which can do a bit of video. What I
have stinks. (So the delivery delay is becoming annoying.) It also
looked like a fun bit of kit - but the waiting isn't so much fun. (Did I
mention that?)

Erik