I have a friend who has just bought a Dyna-Mite 2400 CNC vertical mill.
I have one myself and it has very solid bones. Mine was stripped down to the basics and refitted with 200 step nema 23 motors which I run with linuxcnc and mesa 5i25/7i76.

His is still in mostly original condition with escap steppers. I am concerned that the escap steppers are not up to the job because most people replace them with newer steppers. His machine was running Mach3 and he got the laptop with the setup files and Mach3 but I think the license stayed with the previous owner. He wants me to convert it to LinuxCNC and I am willing to help but I can foresee trying to reverse engineer someone else's reverse engineering.

Does anyone have any experience with setting up LinuxCNC on the Dyna and retaining the ESCAP steppers ... or not?

Thanks,
Cecil