On Tue, 17 Oct 2017, Chris Albertson wrote:

Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2017 10:02:09 -0700
From: Chris Albertson <albertson.ch...@gmail.com>
To: "Enhanced Machine Controller (EMC)" <emc-users@lists.sourceforge.net>
Subject: Re: [Emc-users] Pine64 / Rpi3

On the Pi the Ethernet and USB are on the same shared bus.  But
how much bandwidth is required to drive a Mesa FPGA card?  I
have read the Ethernet port can only push about 40% of it's spec'd
bandwidth but the card only requires 2% it's OK.

If performance is the goal you's spend an eatery $50 and buy an
Intel PC mainboard rather than the Pi.

Performance is not the issue, latency with USB drivers is the issue.
USB or USB Ethernet have plenty of performance, but suffer from occasional multi-millisecond latencies. These are fine for normal network usage
but not good for LinuxCNCs real time I/O.

There are some RPI form factor boards that do have Ethernet built into the SOC
which might be suitable for real time Ethernet.

On Tue, Oct 17, 2017 at 9:56 AM, andy pugh <bodge...@gmail.com> wrote:

On 17 October 2017 at 17:51, Greg Bentzinger <skullwo...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Using
> these boards Ethernet port as a dedicated port is an option,

I don't think it is. I have heard that the Pi Ethernet port is on the USB
bus.

--
atp
lunatics."