Gene,
Although they are often called "thread protectors" , I prefer to call them adapter pushers. I have found that their most important function is to be installed BEFORE the collet adapter and to be used by turning CCW to push against the collet adapter to remove it. Otherwise you will need to use a knockout bar to pound the 5MT to 5C adapter out of the spindle. I have made them in steel and aluminum for different machines and I find no reason to not use aluminum. If you do use plastic be sure that it is strong enough to withstand a bunch of torque with a spanner in pushing out the adapter. In order for it to work the adapter needs to have a "step" in it which the pusher can push against. If the hole in the pusher is just a clearance fit over the adapter then a snapring in a slot will provide the surface to push against.

Cecil