On Monday 26 March 2018 00:29:24 Chris Albertson wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 23, 2018 at 4:24 PM, a k <pccncmach...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I am in portland .
> > 30 to 40 v ac I read between water pipe _ which is real ground and
> > ground on the outlet pin that has cylindrical shape.
> > Is this normal?
>
> No.  Something is seriously wrong to the point off being dangerously
> wrong.  At some point where the power comes into your building the
> grounded wire and the cold water pipe should be connected together.
> Also at the same location where should be a ground rod or a connection
> to metal that was embedded in a concrete foundation for this purpose.

Here, when I replaced my service with a 200amp, making the house a 60 amp
subcircuit, in 2007, getting ready to build on a garage, I had to drill
thru the concrete, and place 2, 8' ground rods, 8 feet apart, in the
holes both tied to the neutral and to the static. Up till then I lost a
modem or something everytime the can pole across the street got hit. I
have not lost a thing since. The 50kw can itself has been blown, but
I've not been hurt. I'd call that a plus.