And I don't seem to find any shorter than 10mm.

5mm long would be a great plenty. This is to be installed in the side of
a 7/8" diameter slug, with about 1/2 the head buried in the slug, and
the other half to stick up into a cutout the same width as the head of
the screw, purpose to lock the slug into the R8, which itself is keyed
into the spindle. With short threads, and a dot of green thread locker,
it ought to hold more torque that my spindle can muster up. If I machine
it right, for a snug fit in the slot cut in the R8 to just clear the bit
of screw head sticking out, the should not be enough slop to dislodge
the screw.

But where can I find such short 5mm socket head screws?  Need a full box.

Net searchs show 10mm and up, too long.

Thanks.